JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, May 22, 2006

Healing

Healing

“And everywhere Jesus went, to villages, towns, or farms, people would take those who are ill to the market places and beg him to let them at least touch the edge of his cloak; and all who touched it were made well.” (Mark 6: 54)

We see in the above passage people’s great and irrepressible desire for good physical health.  I see this desire everywhere today.  People in this story had come to recognize in Jesus direct source for instant help.  I notice here a mysterious phenomenon:  great desire seems to bring with it faith.  Intense desire that has become desperate reaches out for whatever help or promise of help is near.  No wonder the rich, the healthy, and the self-satisfied work so hard at faith.  “Blessed are the poor in spirit, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.”

I too, I am in need of healing.  Am I desperate enough to get what I need?  The people in today’s scripture believe that if they could touch the edge of the cloak of Jesus, they would be made whole.  I believe that in the Eucharist, I meet Jesus fully present.  In the Eucharist, I do not touch just the hem of his garment, I  become one with him in communion.  I cling to Jesus.  Why am I not healed?  May be I am not desperate enough to be healed.  May be I do not ask.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2