JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Lord, say but a word.

“Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you; but say the word and let my servant be healed." (Luke 7: 6 - 7).

Monday of the 24th week in Ordinary Time is the feast of St Cornelius, Pope and St Cyprian, Bishop. Both were martyred in the 4th century.

In our Gospel pick for today, we marvel at the faith of the Roman Centurion. It is said that our faith grows when we read Sacred Scripture. The Centurion heard of the miraculous powers of Jesus and understood from his army experience that Jesus could heal his slave by a word of command given from anywhere.

Blessed John Henry Newman writes that when God asks us to trust Him, He does not demand the impossible. He gives us signs and at other times inner certitude to strengthen our faith. Think of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Abraham, David, Paul, etc. Our trust in God brings delight to the Heart of God. "When Jesus heard these words [of the Centurion] he was astonished at him and, turning round, said to the crowd following him, ‘I tell you, not even in Israel have I found faith like this.’ And when the messengers got back to the house they found the servant in perfect health." (Luke 7: 9 - 10).

Inspired by the professed faith of the Centurion, the Church says before Holy Communion:
"Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." Just one word!

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2