JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, September 02, 2020

He left everything and followed Jesus.

"Simon said in reply, “Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing, but at your command I will lower the nets.” (Luke 5: 5).

Thursday 3rd September 2020, 22nd Week in Ordinary Time is the feast of the Servant of the Servants of God, St Gregory the Great. (540 - 604). Pope and Doctor of the Church.  When God found David, He exclaimed with delight: "I have chosen David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him. My hand will be with him; my arm will make him strong." (Psalm 89: 21 - 22). This Scripture can be applied to Pope Gregory the Great.

In our Gospel of today, Jesus calls Peter, James and John from professional fishing to fishers of men. Scripture says:  "They left everything and followed him." (Luke 5: 11). Gregory the Great was called from the City Hall where he was the Mayor of Rome to be fisher of men. He too left everything and followed Jesus.

Our key Scripture for today is very personal to me. I remember when I was a salesman knocking on doors. Sometimes, I would work an entire week without making a single sale. To add to the pain, I was on 100% commission. I would moan to Jesus:
“Lord, I have worked hard all week and caught nothing." Note the next words of Peter: "But at your command I will lower the nets.”

Here is the lesson:
#1 Our faith implies our obedience.
#2 The just man shall live by faith.
#3 Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

The Lord Jesus called Gregory from civic life to be an apostle. He called Peter, James and John from professional fishermen to be apostles. Is Jesus calling you to serve Him as an apostle, evangelist, catechist, missionary?

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirstcommunity.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2