JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Keep Holy the Lord’s Day

"Is it permitted on the Sabbath day to do good, or to do evil, to save life, or to kill?" (Mark 3: 4)

"Lord Jesus, I look around and see a lot of things happening on the 'Sabbath'. I do not know how to interpret your commandment regarding the observance of the Sabbath. How do I know the difference between the work that means "doing good and saving life" and work that is done purely for profit or lack of trust in your promise to provide adequately for our needs? I do not know how to counsel my friends. I need your light and guidance, Lord."

I confided the above reflection to my journal exactly ten years ago in 1997. Today, I am still struggling with the issue of understanding the command of keeping the Lord's Day holy. God in his mercy has blessed me with the gift of the 'Sabbath.' I do not work on Sunday. I try to enjoy a full day of rest. Sunday is my best day of the week. But unfortunately, I cannot say the same for some of my friends. Some of these friends who also love Jesus work on Sundays. They work on Sunday because their schedule obliges them to work on Sunday or because they are self-employed and Sunday is their best day of doing business. More and more businesses are opening on Sunday. Which of these businesses open in order to "do good or save life" or just for pure greed?

Lord, give me an understanding heart for these issues. Help me not to condemn or to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2