JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Acquire Wisdom

“The first principle of wisdom is: acquire wisdom; at the cost of all you have, acquire understanding! Hold her close, and she will make you great; embrace her, and she will be your pride; she will provide a graceful garland for your head, bestow a crown of honor on you.” (Proverbs 4: 7-9)

My pursuit of wisdom took me to self-development literature, philosophy, theology and history. After many years of seeking wisdom from second-hand sources, I was pointed to the fountain of wisdom: the Bible.

Roger Crawford in his book, How High Can You Bounce? , writes: "Resilient people realize that it’s impossible to see the full value of adversity until it is behind us. Understanding and wisdom come after an event, not before." Wisdom can come during an event if one feeds himself with a daily portion of the word of God.

Wisdom and the Cross

St Francis de Sales writes: "The everlasting God has in His wisdom foreseen from eternity, the cross He now presents to you from His innermost heart. This cross He now sends you He has considered with His all-knowing eyes, understood with His divine mind, tested with His wise justice, warmed with loving arms and weighed with His own hands to see that it is not one ounce too heavy for you. He has blessed it with His Holy Name, anointed it with His grace, perfumed it with His consolation, and taken one last glance at you and your courage - has sent it to you from heaven, a special greeting from God to you, an alms of the all merciful love of God."

More Scriptures on Wisdom

· “Blessed are those who have discovered wisdom, those who have acquired understanding! Gaining her is more rewarding than silver, her yield is more valuable than gold. She is beyond the price of pearls, nothing you could covet is her equal. In her right hand is length of days; in her left hand, riches and honor. Her ways are filled with delight, her paths all lead to contentment. She is a tree of life for those who hold her fast, those who cling to her live happy lives.” (Proverbs 3: 13-18)

· "Teach me wisdom and knowledge, for in your commands I trust. (Psalm 119:66)

· "And now my children listen to me. Happy are those who keep my ways. Listen to instruction and become wise, do not reject it. Blessed, whoever listens to me, who day after day keep watch at my portals. For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains the favor of Yahweh; but whoever misses me harms himself, all who hate me are in love with death." (Proverbs 9: 32-36)

· “The blessing of Yahweh is what brings riches, to this, hard toil has nothing to add.” (Proverbs 11: 22)

· “For want of leadership a people perishes, safety lies in many advisers” (Proverbs 11: 14)

· “A sudden fortune will dwindle away, accumulation little by little is the way to riches.” (Proverbs 13: 11)

· “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, desire fulfilled is a tree of life.” (Proverbs 13:12)

· “In the fear of Yahweh is powerful security; for his children he is a refuge.” (Proverbs 14:26)

· “Better to have a little and with it fear of Yahweh than immense wealth and with it anxiety.” (Proverbs 15:16)

· "Two things I beg of you, do not grudge me them before I die: keep falsehood and lies far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches, grant me only my share of food, for fear that, surrounded by plenty, I should fall away and say, 'Yahweh - who is Yahweh?' or else, in destitution, take to stealing and profane the name of my God."(Proverbs 30: 7-9)

· “For Yahweh himself is giver of wisdom, from his mouth issue knowledge and understanding. He reserves his advice for the honest, a shield to those whose ways are sound; he stands guard over the path of equity.”(Proverbs 2: 6-8)

· “Trust wholeheartedly in Yahweh, put no faith in your own perception; acknowledge him in every course you take, and he will see that your paths are smooth.”(Proverbs 3:5-6)

· “My child do not scorn correction from Yahweh, do not resent his reproof; for Yahweh reproves those he love, as a father the child whom he loves.”(Proverbs 3: 11-120

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2