JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Go for the opposite

“When I came to you, brothers and sisters, proclaiming the mystery of God, I do not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my message and proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of Spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 2: 1 – 5)

If I can imbibe the spirit of 1 Corinthians 2: 1 – 5, then my ministry will be successful. Here I see the concept of “agree contra” at work: Move to the opposite direction to the spirit of the world. Don’t just conform but do the opposite.
The world loves sublimity of words and wisdom. Go for simplicity and intelligibility.
The world wants Jesus Christ the prosperous, the miracle wonder, the multiplier of loaves. Preach Jesus Christ crucified.
The world admires power, strength and show of confidence. Go in weakness, fear and trembling. Both St. Vincent de Paul and Cardinal Manzarin were often at the table of the king of France. But each had different spirit. One became a saint and the other a small dot in history.
The world goes for persuasive words of wisdom. Go for a demonstration of Spirit and power.

Everything the man of God does is to show that the glory should go to God and not to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2