JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Out with avarice

“Put avarice out of your lives and be content with whatever you have; God himself has said: ‘I shall not fail you or desert you,’ and so we can say with confidence: ‘With the Lord on my side, I fear nothing: what can human beings do to me?” (Hebrews 13: 5 – 6)
In 1999 when I reflected again on this key scripture, I confided the following to my journal:
“Put avarice out of your life. What avarice exists in my life today? What are the areas of insecurity in my life today? Is there a correlation between insecurity and avarice?

“Be content with whatever you have:

• Be content with the money you have.
• Be content with the food you have.
• Be content with the clothes you have.
• Be content with the tools you have.

Advertising could create dissonance and discord in us and we become discontent about what we have. It makes us to continually seek more and better things:

• More money
• More and better food
• More and better clothes
• More and better tools

Marketing and advertising could create avarice in us. So be on the alert.

God is renewing the promise he made to me over three years ago:

“I shall not fail you or desert you:

• I shall not fail you with the money you need.
• I shall not fail you with the food you need.
• I shall not fail you with the clothes and the food you need.

What is my response to this promise? Scripture has given me a prompt: Total confidence. “The Lord is on my side. Therefore I fear nothing. Human beings can do nothing to me.” Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2