JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, June 06, 2011

Storms of life

“Then it began to blow a great gale and the waves were breaking into the boat so that it was almost swamped.” (Mark 4: 37)
Expect storms: big storms, big trials, big troubles. They are the fact of life. One of the truths I learned some years ago after going to a life-changing retreat is that often after the mountaintop experience comes the valley. Expect it. I am just back from another life-changing retreat. As we filled the questionnaire after the retreat, one of the questions was: What would you like to see improved in the retreat. I lacked the inspiration to note that the organizers need to warm the participants of the mountaintop/valley experience. It is crucial.
“But he was in the stern, his head on the cushion, asleep.” (Mark 4: 38)
Whatever the trial, trouble or temptation, as soon as I notice the presence of Jesus, I become calm. No wonder why visits to the Blessed Sacrament in the period of deep stress ALWAYS has great calming effect on me. Many people witnessed to this too. The storm may be furious. But Christ is in control. Do not panic.
“Master, do you not care? We are lost!” (Mark 4: 39)
Power of prayer. In a crisis, the key is prayer. Remember Gethsemane? It is a model of prayer in a life-threatening situation. “Father, I am drowning. You can save me. But do so only if it is your perfect will. I know your will for my life is always excellent.”
“Quiet now! Be calm!” (Mark 4: 31)
Jesus calms the storm. No matter whatever the crisis, Christ has absolute power to subdue it.
“Why are you so frightened? Have you still no faith?” (Mark 4: 40)
Faith in Jesus Christ gives us access to his promises of: pardon, peace, power, purpose, protection and provision. You can call these, the 6 P’s of God’s promises.
The world says: “seeing is believing.” But the apostles have seen plenty of what Christ can do? After they received the Holy Spirit, their eyes opened to what Jesus had taught by word and example for three years: Believing is seeing. I believe therefore I will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2