JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I know well the plans I have in mind for you


"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you—oracle of the LORD—plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope." (Jeremiah 29: 11)

In the early years of the return of the Prodigal, the above scripture meant so much to me.  I read and reread this promise.  I devoured all the commentaries I could find on it.  It was as if these words were spoken personally to me.  After 15 years of living these plans, I am more sober when I reflect on the meaning of this promise for my life.  For one thing I discovered that the accomplishment of this plan is not like a quick surgical operation.   Did you note that Jeremiah speaks of “Plans” and not “Plan.”  That’s right.  God has rolling plans for our lives.  A series of interconnected plans spanning from childhood to old age.  When we deviate from this plan, there is a correction.  Very much like the GPS that helps you to get from one point to another and corrects you if you make a wrong turn. 

God’s plans for my welfare are complete.  They encompass the following:  Pardon, Peace, Power, Purpose, Protection and Provision.  I call these the 6 P’s of God’s promises.  How do we enter into these promises?  God prepares for every individual a grand strategy.  I call mine the 7-Way plan made up of these items:  Prayer, Word of God, Eucharist, Penance, Examen, Ministry and Spiritual Reading.  By employing these strategies, not only are we able to enjoy the 6 P’s but we grow at the same time in the 7 fruits of: Faith, Patience, Wisdom, Humility, Courage, Peace and Contentment.  With all these going for us, we feel adequate to fight and win our daily spiritual warfare in these war zones:  Health, Family, Money, Job, Tools, Food and Future.

Perhaps the best way to see these plans at work is to observe them one day at a time.  David in the Psalms say, “In the morning, I pray and then I wait.”  Early in the morning, David prays for God’s favor for the entire day.  Then he watches to see how his prayer is answered.  One day at a time, he observes how faithful God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2