JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Choose whom you will serve

“Now, therefore, fear the LORD and serve him completely and sincerely. Cast out the gods your ancestors served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD.
If it is displeasing to you to serve the LORD, choose today whom you will serve, the gods your ancestors served beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites in whose country you are dwelling. As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”  (Joshua 24: 14 - 15)

In his last testament, Joshua admonished the Israelites to serve the Lord "completely and sincerely." These are two strong adverbs.  An adverb qualifies an adjective.  The adjective "complete" means total, 100%, full.   I looked up "completely and sincerely" in other translations and found the following:

"with all faithfulness", "wholeheartedly", "in sincerity and faithfulness", "in sincerity and truth", "in faithfulness and truth", "with integrity and loyalty", "with integrity and faithfulness", "with a perfect and most sincere heart", "in perfectness and in truth", "in perfection and in truth".

Does it matter which word or synonym is used to cover biblical truth?  It matters a great deal.  Different words impact us differently.  A synonym of a word used in our standard text and version may be what nails in the message.  For me the message in Joshua 24: 14 is this:
It is God's will for me to serve Him with 100% of my heart, mind, will and body; of my time, talent, treasure.  Plus all my weaknesses.  Impossible?  Not at all!

"I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me."  (Philippians 4:13) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2