JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Who is John the Baptist?

“John is his name.”  (Luke 1: 63).

June 24th is the Solemnity of St John the Baptist. The feast fell on a Sunday this year.  Because of the stature of St John the Baptist in God's plan of salvation, the Church all over the world gives the feast precedence over the Sunday Liturgy which is very unusual.

We know that his name John was revealed to the parents, Zechariah and Elizabeth before his birth. But what does John mean? It means "the Lord is gracious." But who is John?  For answer we dive into the Old Testament, the first Reading today from Isaiah:

"The Lord called me from birth,
from my mother’s womb he gave me my name. He made my mouth like a sharp-edged sword, concealed me, shielded by his hand. He made me a sharpened arrow, in his quiver he hid me. He said to me, You are my servant, in you, Israel, I show my glory." (Isaiah 49: 1 - 3).

Not many people were called from their mother's womb for special mission.  To be called, named and given a mission before you were born makes you pretty very special.  As the son of a priest, John was born into the upper class.  He forsook all the privileges for the sake of his calling. Scripture tells us:  "The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the desert until the day of his manifestation to Israel." (Luke 1: 80).

"And you, child, will be called prophet of the Most High, for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways, to give his people knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins."  (Luke 1: 76 - 77).

There is great need today to prepare our brothers and sisters for the Second Coming of Jesus.  People's ignorance of God is the chief reason for all moral deviations according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (CCC 2087).  Are you willing to be an evangelist or a catechist?

SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2