JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

ASSETS AND LIABILITIES

"But what were once my assets I now through Christ Jesus count as losses"(Phillipians 3:7)

I stood near the historic Arc de Triomphe in downtown Paris, dazzled by the brilliant lights and savory smells of the French capital. Well-dressed men strode liesurely and women in the latest fashion walked in the famous Parisian catwalk. BMWs and Mercedes whirled the huge roundabout. What a spectacle!

I couldn't help myself. I indulged in reverie. This is great life and I wanted it. Great family, big salary, nice homes, fast cars and overseas vacations. For many years, I went the extra mile in search of the good life.

Then I met Christ. Before St. Paul met Jesus, he boasted about his many 'physical qualifications'(Philippians 3:3): He was a Jew, a Pharisee and educated by Gamaliel. After his conversion, Paul wanted only one thing in life: to know Jesus and to serve Him.

What do you value as your greatest asset? Jesus said: "You cannot serve both God and money" (Matthew 6:24). An encounter with Jesus causes metanoia, a Greek word signifying a radical change of direction. Commitment to Christ changes our values and removes our longing for wealth. He shows us true riches: Faith, hope, love, simplicity and joy.

Knowledge of Christ opens the door to trustworthy fortune. Our happiness no longer depends on material things. We become aware that Jesus who loves us, knows our real needs and provides adequately for us. Moths, rust and robbers threaten worldly riches but cannot touch spiritual wealth. Our fortune is stored in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2