JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Companionship

Companionship

“There were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his disciples didn’t even have time to eat.  So he said to them, ‘Let us go off by ourselves to where we will be alone and you can have rest for a while.” (Mark 6:31)

In 1996 when I reflected on the above scripture, I made the entry below in my journal:

“I see in this scripture the meaning of companionship.  To be alone with Christ.  It is incredible but true that Christ wants us to spend time alone with him.  Some of us delight in feverish activities which exhaust us physically and we seem to derive some kicks from them.  But here in this scripture, I see Jesus first and foremost a companion and a friend and not a taskmaster.  I understand further what companionship means.  It means spending time with Christ alone.  Spending time with Jesus in prayer.  Spending time with him in his word.  Visiting him in the Blessed Sacrament and spending time with him alone.  

How do I measure vis-à-vis the obligations of companionship?  As soon as I can implement the idea, I will spend at least one hour every week with Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.  Thank you Jesus for this inspiration.  Teach me to know you a little more everyday.”

Over the past ten years, the Lord provided ample opportunity to implement the inspiration.  I have come to enjoy spending time with Christ in the Blessed Sacrament several times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2