JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Be like a little child

Be like a little child

“Whoever wants to be first must place himself last of all and be the servant of all.  Whoever welcomes in my name one of these children, welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me, welcomes not only me but also the one who sent me.”  (Mark 9: 35 – 37)

In 1996 when I reflected on the above scripture, I wrote the commentary below in my journal:

“I see in today’s scripture three messages:
  1. Humility

  2. Be like a little child

  3. Love children

I am struck most by point #2, be like a little child.  Last night, a little girl, Angel aged 3 and the mom came to the house.  I was at table eating fufu.  She came to me and said:  “I want some of that.”  The protests of the mother did not discourage her.  She even allowed me to feed her in the mouth.  

Her behavior is noteworthy in a number of ways:
  • Lack of self-consciousness

  • Persistence

  • Joy

  • Gratitude

To be a friend and companion of Jesus, I must acquire these same qualities.  I must also love children so that I can understand more from them what Jesus meant about his teaching on little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2