JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

You cannot serve God and money


"No servant can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”  (Luke 16: 13)

What is mammon?  It could be any of the following:  health, family, money, job, tools, food, future.  God is the source of all these.  For most people, mammon means one thing - money.  In the Gospels, there is a contrast between dishonest, tainted wealth and genuine riches.   The Gospel invites us to seek genuine riches which cannot rust or be stolen by thieves.

"I say to the LORD,
you are my Lord,
you are my only good.

They multiply their sorrows
who court other gods.
Blood libations to them I will not pour out,
nor will I take their names upon my lips."  (Psalm 16: 2, 4)

When we serve God alone and not mammon, we abandon ourselves completely to Divine Providence. We practice total detachment from anything that can ensnare our hearts to idols.

What are some of the blessings of financial peace?

  1. We avoid pride that tainted wealth brings
  2. We depend fully on God for all our provisions
  3. We live one day at a time
  4. We avoid temptations to gluttony and lust
  5. We avoid wasting time window-shopping for what to buy
  6. We avoid buying things we do not need


When we serve God and not money, we learn to recognize times and seasons as God's appointments.  We learn to adapt to times and seasons joyfully.

"I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need.
I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me."  (Philippians 4: 12 - 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2