JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

The Feast of St Hilary Poitiers, Bishop and Doctor of the Church.

"A leper came to him and kneeling down begged him and said, “If you wish, you can make me clean.” Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand, touched the leper, and said to him, “I do will it. Be made clean.” The leprosy left him immediately, and he was made clean." (Mark 1 :40....45).

Thursday 13th of January 2022, in the 1st Week in Ordinary Time is the feast of St Hilary Poitiers. (315 - 368). French. Bishop and Doctor of the Church. Why is France called the eldest daughter of the Church? Look at the dates of St Hilary and you will see why. Before 315 AD, the Church hierarchy already existed in France.

Hilary is remembered in history especially for these reasons:
#1. Hilary helped us understand and profess
the Divinity of Jesus Christ. This is contained in the Nicene Creed.
#2.  He worked to undermine the Arian heresy which had plagued the Church for a long time.
#3. Hilary developed an authoritative doctrine on the Holy Trinity.
#4. He helped the Church understand the deeper significance of the Incarnation.

Hilary understood that bad theology inevitably leads to heresy. The bad theology of  Luther, Calvin, Zwingli led to the unnecessary fragmentation of the Church. They created a version of Christianity where freedom of choice seems to be the operating principle. "I choose what to believe. I choose my pastor. I choose my denomination. I choose what to do with my body. I choose what to do with my money, etc, etc ad infinitum).

Let us pray through the intercession of St Hilary Poitiers to learn the truths of our faith and express it in gentleness and works of charity.

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2