JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Friday, January 14, 2022

I desire mercy and not sacrifice.

"Jesus went out along the sea. All the crowd came to him and he taught them. As he passed by, he saw Levi, son of Alphaeus, sitting at the customs post. Jesus said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed Jesus." (Mark 2: 13... 17).

Saturday 15th January 2022, in the first Week in Ordinary Time.  Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The Gospel of today is the amazing Call of Levi also known as Matthew to the Apostolic ministry. We read:
"While he [Jesus] was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners sat with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many who followed him."  (Mark 2: 15).

Some scribes who were Pharisees became scandalized when they saw that Jesus was eating with sinners and tax collectors.

Jesus heard their murmuring and said to them: “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”  (Mark 2:  16 - 17).

Matthew left everything: job, money, house and property and friends and followed the stranger named Jesus. Matthew was not a saint when Jesus called him. But Jesus did not come to call saints.  Paul describes his calling thus:
"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service.  Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." (1 Timothy 1: 12 - 14).

What do you think?
#1. The Church is a 5-star hotel for saints.
Or
#2. The Church is a hospital for sinners.

Let us consider a few Scriptures on  Mercy in the word of God:

" For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings."  (Hosea 6: 6).

"Blessed are the merciful: for  they shall obtain mercy." (Matthew 5: 7).

"But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’  you would not have condemned the guiltless." (Matthew 12: 7).

The word Mercy is found in the Bible countless times.  Abba Father Himself is described as the "Father of mercy and God of all consolation."  (2 Corinthians 1: 3).  

In the Sacred Heart of Jesus, we find abundant mercy waiting for everyone.  To receive mercy is as simple as ABC:
+Ask for Mercy.
+Be Merciful.
+Completely trust Jesus for Mercy.

Jesus delights in sinners because sinners give Him the opportunity to show off His mercy. Why did Jesus institute the Sacred Heart of Jesus Devotion? The Divine Mercy Devotion? Jesus delights in mercy.

"My apostles wanted for nothing so long as I was with them.  In having Me in their midst, they had the very Source and Creator of all that is, that was, and that ever will be. You have Me close to you. I am here before you in the Sacrament of My love. Remain with Me for My sake; I will provide for you." (IN SINU JESU, Tuesday, February 3, 2009).

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2