JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, April 10, 2006

I too am the beloved

I too am the beloved

“It was at this time that Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John.  No sooner had he come up out of the water than he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit, like a dove, descending on him.  And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on you.”  (Mark 1: 9 – 11)

Jesus was baptized by John at the very beginning of his ministry.  Although, he was the Son of God and sinless, he underwent the act of purification and reconciliation ordained by God.  This incident calls to mind other occasions when Jesus showed himself compliant to God’s will.  At the age of 12, he showed obedience to his parents when he left his Father’s house and traveled home with them. (Luke 2: 51)   We learn from the Gospels that he showed up regularly in the synagogue on the Sabbath.

But his humility in accepting baptism is striking.  Although he is God, he did not claim equality with God.  After his baptism, the Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus and God acknowledged his sonship.  

The lesson for me is clear.  I am also baptized and have received the Holy Spirit.  I am the adopted son of God.  And by virtue of the redemptive work of Jesus, God the Father can say of me:  “Emmanuel is my beloved; my favor rests on him.”  How incredible but also how true!  Father, I thank you for this revelation today.  I will particularly remember my divine filiation this day.  I am the beloved son of the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2