JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Our Identity 2

Our Identity 2

“The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me; he has sent me to bring glad tidings to the lowly, to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and release to the prisoners, to announce a year of favor from the Lord and a day of vindication by our God, to comfort all who mourn.” (Isaiah 61: 1 – 2)

“Turn it, turn it round and round

In it all things can be found.”

I cannot remember where I got the above quote. But it refers to the Bible. Indeed all things can be found in it. Sometimes in codes.

What biblical texts point to my mission? What is my mission?

I desire to learn about Jesus and to communicate Jesus.

How did Christ see his mission? He saw it in terms of Isaiah 61: 1-2: “The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me; he has sent me to bring glad tidings to the lowly, to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and release to the prisoners, to announce a year of favor from the Lord and a day of vindication by our God, to comfort all who mourn.”

When Jesus quoted the above scripture in the synagogue in Nazareth (Luke 4: 18 – 19), he stressed the note of present fulfillment: what the prophet foretold centuries ago was now being fulfilled.

God chose to be generous and magnanimous to his people “in the year of favor.”

The gift of “the Spirit of the Lord” is for the benefit of the marginalized.

When Jesus searched the scriptures for an understanding of his mission, he found the answer in Isaiah 61: 1 – 2. He appropriated the scripture and applied it to himself.

How about me? What did I find when I searched the scriptures for my mission? Is it possible that a number of scriptures may be pulled together to throw a light on my mission?

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2