JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama

"If this enterprise, this movement of theirs, is of human origin it will break up of its own accord; but if it does in fact come from God you will be unable to destroy them. Take care not to find yourselves fighting against God." (Acts 5: 38)

This scripture occurred to me early in the Obama campaign for the presidency of the United States of America. What I will call as from today 538 seems to be utterly vindicated today, November 5, 2008. Obama won the presidency last night November 4, 2008 with a convincing margin. I decided last night to offer the Eucharist and my prayers this morning for his intentions. My plan seemed to have been confirmed when Fr. Hugh who had led us in a Novena of prayer to elect a Prolife President offered the 6.30 am Mass this morning for the new President-elect. He started the Mass by saying that God new from eternity that Obama would be elected the President of United States at this hour.

Scripture urges us to pray for our leaders constantly so that we can enjoy peace and stability. I had prayed for President Bush every day and will continue to do so till the 22nd of January 2009.

On the 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time, the first reading from Isaiah 45: 1, 4-6 is as follows:

1

1 Thus says the LORD to his anointed, Cyrus, whose right hand I grasp, Subduing nations before him, and making kings run in his service, Opening doors before him and leaving the gates unbarred:

2

2 I will go before you and level the mountains; Bronze doors I will shatter, and iron bars I will snap.

3

I will give you treasures out of the darkness, and riches that have been hidden away, That you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.

4

For the sake of Jacob, my servant, of Israel my chosen one, I have called you by your name, giving you a title, though you knew me not.

5

I am the LORD and there is no other, there is no God besides me. It is I who arm you, though you know me not,

6

3 so that toward the rising and the setting of the sun men may know that there is none besides me. I am the LORD, there is no other;


 

The Gospel reading on this Sunday is equally relevant. Matthew 22: 15-21

15

8 Then the Pharisees 9 went off and plotted how they might entrap him in speech.

16

They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, 10 saying, "Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion, for you do not regard a person's status.

17

11 Tell us, then, what is your opinion: Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"

18

Knowing their malice, Jesus said, "Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?

19

12 Show me the coin that pays the census tax." Then they handed him the Roman coin.

20

He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"

21

They replied, "Caesar's." 13 At that he said to them, "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."


 

What are we to make of these convergence of scriptures?

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2