JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The Feast of St Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist.

"I DESIRE MERCY, NOT SACRIFICE."

"As Jesus passed by, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.”

"And he got up and followed him.

"While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat with Jesus and his disciples.

"The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

"Jesus heard this and said, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”" (Matthew 9: 9 - 13).

Wednesday 21st September 2022 of 25th Week of Ordinary Time is the feast of St Matthew the Apostle. Jew. Evangelist. Author of the Gospel according to St Matthew. Died a martyr.

A man named Matthew was called by Jesus to follow Him. The man left everything: job, money, house and property and friends and followed the stranger named Jesus. Matthew was not a saint when Jesus called him. But Jesus did not come to call saints.  Paul describes his calling thus:

"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service.  Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus." (1 Timothy 1: 12 - 14).

Matthew could have written the above words.

Jesus delights in sinners because sinners give Him the opportunity to show off His mercy. Why did Jesus institute the Most Holy Eucharist? Jesus delights in mercy. Why did our Lord and Redeemer Institute the Sacrament of Reconciliation? To embrace sinners in His merciful love. Why did Jesus institute the
Sacred Heart of Jesus Devotion, the Divine Mercy Devotion? Jesus delights in mercy. Mercy may well be the last covenant with mankind.

Matthew accepted the call with generosity and then lived in a manner worthy of the call he received.  He used his old skill as a tax recorder to pen the Gospel that bears his name.

The call of Matthew is a story of mercy. The unfathomable mercy of God.  “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”
(Matthew 9: 12 - 13).

Have you received any mercies from Jesus lately? Do you know the ABC of Mercy?
+ A. Ask for mercy.
+ B. Be merciful.
+ C. Completely trust Jesus for mercy.

"Make it your first care to find the kingdom of God. (Matthew 6:33). The kingdom of God is present in all its fullness, though in a hidden manner, in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. He who seeks out My Eucharistic presence is seeking the kingdom of God. He who approaches Me in the Sacrament of My love will find the kingdom and therein all that he desires according to My Spirit. Come first to Me in the Sacrament of My love. Let this become the supernatural instinct of your soul: always to come to Me, always to seek My Eucharistic Face."  (IN SINU JESU, Monday, August 25, 2008).

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2