JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Feast of Saints Pancras, Nereus & Achileus, Martyrs.

The Feast of Saints Nereus, Achileus and Pancras. 

"Jesus said to his disciples: “This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.

I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.

"It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. 

"This I command you: love one another.” (John 15: 12 - 17).

Friday 12th May 2023 of the 5th Week of Easter.  

The Church celebrates today the feast of three youthful soldier martyrs. St Pancras (+ 304). Roman. Martyred at 14 under Emperor Diocletian. Also today: Saints Nereus and Achilleus, Roman soldiers. Both martyred under Emperor Trajan.

 The Church rejoices in saints that bore witness to Jesus at very young age, viz: Agnes, Perpetua, Felicity, Agatha, Maria Goretti, etc.

In our key Scripture for today, we reflect on the Call, the Choice and the Anointing we have from God our Father. 

When God wanted to start His family, He called Abraham. Through faith and obedience, Abraham became fruitful. Other examples of people in the Bible that God chose, called and anointed are:

Moses, Joseph the Prince of Egypt, David, John the Baptist and Paul the Apostle.  All of them responded to God with faith and obedience and became fruitful. 

The Call Today is loud and clear:

"It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you." (John 15: 16).

Today Jesus reminds us of His ringing Call: "To go and bear fruit that will remain." We know that the only fruits that remain and abide are fruits produced by the Holy Spirit.

The Lord Jesus is looking for a generous response like this:

"I will be a witness to You in the world O Lord.  I will spread the knowledge of Your name among my brothers, Alleluia! " (Psalm 18:50;  22 :23.)

 "Let Mary never be far from your Lips and from your heart.

Following her, you will never lose your way.

Praying to her, you will never sink into despair.

Contemplating her, you will never go wrong." (St Bernardine of Siena),

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Lord almighty bless my fellow flowers as u blessed me thank you for opening my heart my luv my way of thinking u are king of kings bless me father

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:51 AM

    Amem

    ReplyDelete

23-Psalm1to2