JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Temptation

The Temptation

“Immediately afterwards the Spirit drove him out into the wilderness and he remained there for 40 days, and was tempted by Satan!  He was with the wild beasts, and the angels looked after him.” (Mark 1: 12 – 13)

The above word of God came to me sharply during my desert experience ten years ago in 1996.  I penned the following reflection in my journal.

“After the baptism of Jesus, the Spirit drove him into the wilderness.  After my own baptism in the Spirit, 060195, the Spirit also drove me into the wilderness.  The temptation or trial of Jesus was a crucial event in his redemptive work.  My desert experience was a critical stage in my life’s pilgrimage.  

The Holy Spirit used the Temptation of Jesus to strengthen him and clarify his mission.  I discovered my true self and my life’s mission during my desert experience and my faith was strengthened.  

Jesus remained 40 days in the desert and was tempted by Satan.  My wilderness experience lasted for 12 months and I too was severely tempted by Satan.  During my stay in the desert, I cohabited with wild beasts, but like Jesus, angels looked after me.  These angels were the spiritual consolations I enjoyed through the sacraments, the word of God, prayer and encouragement by Christian brothers and sisters.

My desert experience prepared me for a life of companionship with Jesus.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your graces during my trial.”

One comment I would like to add as I reflect on the above journal entry, today in 2006 is that my desert experience lasted not for one year as I though in 1996 but for five years.  The first year was the most intense.  After the first year, the Lord relaxed the discipline gradually.  During the five years of my desert experience, the Lord gave me a Sabbatum, which is a sabbatical from work.   I was happy to study Sacred Scripture and spiritual works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2