JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, July 02, 2007

St. Vincent de Paul Society

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. ….. Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are not you more important than they?” (Matthew 6: 25 – 26)

On the 23rd of March, 1997, I confided the following to my journal.

“Yesterday, Ruth and Mary Ann of SVDP came to SAM to take me to help move a Hispanic family from one apartment to another.

Family: Husband died last year. Woman has 6 kids. Eldest, 15 year old girl. Five of the kids are girls. It seemed to me that 5 of them are below 10 years. Woman is pregnant with her 7th child. Woman is illiterate. No English. Family totally dependent on SVDP and welfare. On the face of it, the situation seems hopeless. Woman cannot work even if she finds one. She needs to look after the young ones. The eldest girl, 15 will need another 5 years or so before she can start making a contribution. Some of the kids were barefooted.

Something struck me about the family. They seemed happy. Oblivious of their dire situation. When I entered their house with Ruth, Mary Ann and the Cuban volunteer, the mother of six stepped out, greeted us cheerfully and shook hands. All the kids seemed alive with joie de vivre. Yet from human point of view, their situation seems pitiable.
This is surely a family that lives on hope. Hope that God will continue to provide for them day by day. It reminds me of Christ’s teaching in Matthew 6: 25 – 34. God provides for the birds. He surely will provide for us. I ask myself how many such families exist here in Houston? From my SAM experience, I know that there will be thousands. Again I think of the paradox that is the US. The richest country in the world. The most advanced technologically. Yet with incredible human sufferings of poverty, ignorance, disease, insanity, crimes, etc. I cannot forget the plenty of goodness that exists here: the many volunteer organizations, Christian Radio, TV, especially TBN. What is the destiny of this country? What does the equal mixture of goodness and evil in this society mean?

I thank God for my exposure to SAM and SVDP. Both organizations are giving me invaluable training.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2