JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Come to me

"Come to me, all you that labor and are burdened and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11: 28)

What a great promise! But how do I know that I can trust Jesus? Trust unlike belief is not based on rational propositions. For example, in the Creed, we have a set of propositions presented to us by the Church. We give our assent to them because we know that the Church is trustworthy. How do we know that the Church is trustworthy? We know through a supernatural enablement that we share with other Christians that is call "Sensus Fidei." Sensus Fidei translates literally as sense of faith is the supernatural instinct that is placed in the soul by the Holy Spirit when we are baptized. This instinct can grow with exercise and practice.

Trust on the other hand calls for experience of trustworthiness in the person to be trusted. To answer the question – Can I trust Jesus when He promises to give me peace when I come to Him with my burdens? I do not know of a single incident when I trusted Jesus for anything and He disappointed. As far as I am concerned, Jesus is a very trustworthy person. The Church corroborates my personal experience and spiritual instinct in affirming with Sacred Scripture that Jesus is trustworthy. My heart rejoices when I hear Jesus say: "Come to me, all you that labor and are burdened and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11: 28)

I know for certain that I can trust Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2