JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Even if the fig tree does not blossom


"For though the fig tree does not blossom, and no fruit appears on the vine, Though the yield of the olive fails and the terraces produce no nourishment, Though the flocks disappear from the fold and there is no herd in the stalls, Yet I will rejoice in the LORD and exult in my saving God. GOD, my Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet swift as those of deer and enables me to tread upon the heights" (Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19)

When I came across the above scripture 16 years ago, I understood immediately what it means.  I was awe-struck by the lofty thought.  Often our relationship with God is predicated by what God provides.  But here is a man who says that whether God provides or not, he will always worship and love Him.  O how I wish this attitude is mine.  I still find myself elated when things go well and anxious when they don’t.

I found similar scriptures to Habakkuk 3: 17 – 19 and had even blogged on it as shown below:

“If our God, the one we serve, is able to save us from the burning fiery furnace and from your power, Your Majesty, he will save us; and even if  he does not, then you must know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your god or worship the statue you have set up.”  (Daniel 3:17 – 18)
A good paraphrase of the above scripture which I like is this:  “If we live, we live; if we perish, we perish.”

“My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will.”  (Matthew 26: 39)  Again, we can paraphrase Christ’s sentiments thus:  “If I live, I live; if I die, I die.”

“For though the fig tree blossom not | nor fruit be on the vines, |Though the yield of the olive fail| and the terraces produce no nourishment, | Though the flock disappear from the fold | and there be no heard in the stalls, | Yet will I rejoice in the Lord |and exult in my saving God. (Habakkuk 3: 17 – 18)  Prophet Habakkuk’s word can me summarized with - “If we live, we live; if we perish, we perish.”

“If you make my word your home |you will indeed be my disciples; | you will come to know the truth, | and the truth will make you free.”  (John 8: 31 – 32) 

When we are faithful to the teachings of Jesus, we will have the faith and courage to appropriate the above scriptures.  We will know that God is faithful come what may.

“For if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.”  (Romans 14:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2