JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Crisis of David


"As David went up the ascent of the Mount of Olives, he wept without ceasing. His head was covered, and he was walking barefoot. All those who were with him also had their heads covered and were weeping as they went." (2 Samuel 15:30)

The conspiracy of Absalom presented David with a major crisis.  I read the narrative in the backdrop of a crisis.  I am deeply interested is seeing how David handled this major crisis.  First he wept and would not cease weeping.  Something would soon happen to convince him that he was facing a major crisis of faith.

"As King David was approaching Bahurim, there was a man coming out; he was of the same clan as the house of Saul, and his name was Shimei, son of Gera. He kept cursing as he came out,d 6 and throwing stones at David and at all King David’s officers, even though all the soldiers, including the royal guard, were on David’s right and on his left." (2 Samuel 16: 5-6)
Sometimes it takes two critical events happening back to back to make us pause and think.  First the rebellion of Absalom, then the open curse and abuse of Shimei made David realize that he was in a hot spot and that the Lord has a hand in this. 

David’s spiritual insight into the current situation is instructive to us:
"Suppose the LORD has told him to curse David; who then will dare to say, ‘Why are you doing this?’ Then David said to Abishai and to all his servants: “If my own son, who came forth from my loins, is seeking my life, how much more might this Benjaminite do so! Let him alone and let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. Perhaps the LORD will look upon my affliction and repay me with good for the curses he is uttering this day.”" (2 Samuel 16: 10 - 12)

The way David handled his major crisis taught me to put my very tiny crisis in perspective and trust completely in God.

Below is David’s prayerful response to his major crisis:
"A psalm of David, when he fled from his son Absalom. How many are my foes, LORD! How many rise against me! How many say of me, “There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah. But you, LORD, are a shield around me; my glory, you keep my head high. With my own voice I will call out to the LORD, and he will answer me from his holy mountain. Selah 6 I lie down and I fall asleep, [and] I will wake up, for the LORD sustains me. I do not fear, then, thousands of people arrayed against me on every side." (Psalm 3: 1-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2