JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Compassion of David


"The king was shaken, and went up to the room over the city gate and wept. He said as he wept, “My son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you, Absalom, my son, my son!” (2 Samuel 19: 1)

Everybody knows David as a man after God’s own heart.  Some also know him as the man who composed the Psalms.  Indeed, David has so many attributes.   In the above scripture, I see David in a light that I had not noticed before.  David is a man of deep compassion.  When Absalom embarked on an open rebellion against his father, he knew what would come to him if he failed.  That fate was expressed in this scripture:

"But the king asked the Cushite, “Is young Absalom all right?” The Cushite replied, “May the enemies of my lord the king and all who rebel against you with evil intent be as that young man!” (2 Samuel 18: 32)

Joab the army commander simply applied military justice to Absalom and executed him.  But David’s heart went out for a son who planned to topple and kill him.  It reminded me to the heart of God our Father.  No scripture brings out this lesson as clearly as the Parable of the Prodigal Son.  God loves us insanely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2