JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Eternal Vigilance


"From that time on, however, only half my work force took a hand in the work, while the other half, armed with spears, bucklers, bows, and breastplates, stood guard behind the whole house of Judah 11 as they rebuilt the wall. The load carriers, too, were armed; each worked with one hand and held a weapon with the other. 12 Every builder, while working, had a sword tied at his side. A trumpeter stood beside me, 13 for I had said to the nobles, the magistrates, and the rest of the people: “Our work is scattered and extensive, and we are widely separated from one another along the wall; 14 wherever you hear the trumpet sound, join us there; our God will fight with us.” 15 Thus we went on with the work, half with spears in hand, from daybreak till the stars came out. 16 At the same time I told the people to spend the nights inside Jerusalem, each with an attendant, so that they might serve as a guard by night and a working force by day. 17 Neither I, nor my kindred, nor any of my attendants, nor any of the bodyguard that accompanied me took off our clothes; everyone kept a weapon at hand." (Nehemiah 4: 10- - 17)

What was I thinking of when I included the above passage as one of the PL scriptures?  Was I thinking of the diligence of Nehemiah as a virtue that is worth emulating?  Was I attracted to his wisdom and leadership skills?  I cannot remember but I know how the passage strikes me here and now as I opened it to blog on it.  I remember instantly what Paul wrote to the Ephesians about the necessity of putting on the full armor in the battle for life:

"10 Finally, draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power. 11 Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens. 13 Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground. 14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate,15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all [the] flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18 With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit. To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication for all the holy ones 19 and also for me, that speech may be given me to open my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, so that I may have the courage to speak as I must." (Ephesians 6: 10 - 20)

Nehemiah 4: 10 – 17 foreshadows in practice the lessons that Paul teaches the Church in theory.  The Christian life is warfare between the forces of darkness and light.  It is a serious business.  We must be fully armed and fully prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2