JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Delight in the Lord


“Find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire.” (Psalm 37:4)

God’s word is filled with sweet promises of the Father to His children.  I am fascinated with the above promise.
How do I find my delight in the Lord?  I yearn for the Lord to grant me my heart’s desires. 

I find my delight in the Father when I love the Son.  I delight in the Son when I keep His commandments.  He who loves the Father loves the Son.  He who loves the Son loves His mother.  I find my delight in the Lord when I love His word and dwell in it.  I love the Son when I love His body, the Church.

There is no one way to find my delight in the Lord.  But all these various ways add up to one big way: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all you soul, all your mind and all your strength.  Love you neighbor as yourself.  If you do this, you have fulfilled your part of the Covenant of Peace. 

A covenant is usually made up of two parts:  promise and fulfillment.  God promises that if I find my delight in Him, He will grant me my heart’s desires.  Now what are my heart’s desires?

My heart desires pardon for my sins, peace of heart, inspiration and power in my daily life; awareness of my purpose and means of pursuing it, protection from evils, enjoyment of the constant presence of God and provision for my daily necessities.   My heart also desires faith, patience, wisdom, humility, courage and a spirit of contentment and good health.

In sacred scripture, we find God’s covenant of peace expressed in so many passages in scripture.  My favorite is Matthew 6: 33-34:

“But Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”  (Matthew 6:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2