JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Love is patient


"Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Corinthians 13: 4 - 7)

Here is the question we had to grapple with in our Bible Study on the above scripture:  “Think of past examples in your own life for each of these characteristics of love, either when you have practiced them or when you have been the recipient of another practicing them.  Now think of a specific, concrete way to employ each of the attributes of love in the future.”

Looking back at my experience, I found it difficult to categorize love in its different characteristics.  I see love as a single act which encompasses all the elements listed by St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7).  God is the source of every gift.  Every act of love that I receive from people is God loving me through the person.  Every act of love that I give is God loving someone through me.  I do not always recognize all the loving acts of God during the day.  “Man does not live on bread alone.” (Matthew 4:4)  There is multiplicity of ways in which God extends His love to us during the day.  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord” (Isaiah 55: 8)   Expect God’s pleasant surprises every day.  Remember too that no matter whatever happens, “All things work together for good to those who love God.”  (Romans 8:28) God’s loving and powerful providence provides all that we need always and everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2