JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, January 25, 2018

David and Saul

"David went to bring up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the City of David amid festivities.....
Then David, girt with a linen apron,
came dancing before the LORD with abandon....
Then David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD. (2 Samuel 6:12-15, 17-19).

The entire passage of the first Reading today (2 Samuel 6: 12 - 15, 17 - 19) is a type and shadow of the Eucharistic liturgy where King David is the High Priest prefiguring Jesus Christ our Eternal High Priest.  We know that David is a type of Christ.

Note the choice of vocabulary in the liturgical narrative:
David was dressed in a linen apron.
He sacrificed an ox and a fatling every six steps of the procession.
The crowd (all the House of Israel) blew the horn and shouted with joy as they processed with the Ark.
David danced before the Ark with abandon.
Acting like a priest, he offered burnt and peace offerings before the Lord.
David then blessed the people in the name of the Lord of Hosts.
Then came Communion time:  David distributed among the entire people a loaf of bread, a cut of roast meat, and a raisin cake.  With this came the dismissal of the people. (Ite Missa est).

Why is David the man after God's heart?  In spite of his moral weaknesses, David is humble and a repentant sinner.  Saul who lost his kingship to David was a proud and unrepentant sinner.  The sin of Saul, disobedience was described as similar to witchcraft and idolatry.  David committed adultery with murder but God regarded it as a sin of weakness.  When David was accused, he did not argue like Saul but acknowledged his sin. Thanks to his repentance, David left us Psalm 51, the most profound prayer of repentance.

God said of David:  "He shall cry to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock of my salvation!.....
Forever I will maintain my mercy for him; my covenant with him stands firm. "  (Psalm 89: 27, 29).

David's legacy in the genealogy of Jesus Christ is a very important one.

Addendum:

12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
(1 Timothy 1:12-17 NIV) 012518

SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2