JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, August 06, 2018

In their fear, they thought Jesus was a ghost.

“Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”  (Matthew 14: 27).

The disciples of Jesus were terrified when they saw Jesus walking toward them in the foaming sea.  They thought it was a ghost. To calm them down, Jesus assured them that it was He.

When our heart is gripped by whatever fear, we need to remember those calming words of Jesus.  Can you draw money from an empty account? To withdraw money, you must first deposit funds.  It is when things are calm that you fill your mind with the word of God.

On the subject of fear, St John Chrysostom, a 4th/5th century Church Father and Doctor of the Church who admired St Paul the Apostle said that Paul was inimitable. He added that Paul was so bold and fearless that even the devil was afraid of Paul.  We can all say that Jesus, the God-Man is fearless and the devil is terrified by His Name. And Jesus is the source of the fearlessness of every Christian.

Here are a few of the Scriptures that help me to fight fear:

#1 Deuteronomy 31:  8
"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

#2  Psalm 27:1
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

#3  Isaiah 41:10
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

"And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
(Matthew 28:20 NLT).

I like this petite but powerful Scripture:
"Fear is useless; what is needed is trust."  (Luke 8: 50; Mark 5: 36).

And here is word of wisdom and courage from the Carmelite mystic:
"Let nothing trouble you,
let nothing frighten you.
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who possesses God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices."  (St Teresa of Avila)

SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2