JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Sunday, July 19, 2020

God teaches us what is good for us.

"O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I released you." (Micah 6: 3 - 4).

Monday 20th July 2020, 16th Week in Ordinary Time is the feast of St Apollinaris. (Bishop and Martyr). Syrian. Died 79 AD in Ravenna, Italy where he was Bishop. Two things are most fascinating about our saint of today, Apollinaris:
#1 The Apostle Peter himself ordained him a Bishop.
#2 St Apollinaris had an extraordinary gift of healing. The pagan Roman priests were so jealous of him that they persuaded Emperor Claudius to martyr him.

Many of us will be familiar with our lead Scripture for today from the Lenten liturgies. "O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I released you."

How sad it is that this captures the spirit of mankind. Consider this fact : Some of those who oppose migrations ferociously have themselves and their forebears benefitted most from what God characterized: "I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I released you."

Our Scripture for today may have greater insight for this pandemic period. God is calling for spiritual renewal. Some people reading this may not be alive in 30 days. The right question like the 3000 people that embraced Christianity after the sermon of St Peter on Pentecost Sunday is:
"Brothers, what shall we do?" (Acts 2: 37). The answer is given by the Prophet Micah:

"You have been told, O man, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you: Only to do the right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God."

The Apostle Paul teaches the Corinthians:
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God." (2 Corinthians 1: 3 - 4).

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2