JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Friday, October 08, 2021

Feast of St Denis of Paris and St John Leonardi.

"While Jesus was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.” He replied, “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.” (Luke 11: 27 - 28).

Saturday 9th October 2021, 27th Week in Ordinary is the feast of St Denis, First Bishop of Paris, martyr and companion martyrs. (3rd century).
We honor too St John Leonardi (1541 - 1609). Italian priest. John qualified first as a pharmacist before he decided to become a priest. He founded the Order of Clerics Regular to serve sick people and those in prison.

In the short Gospel of today, Jesus praised His Mother saying: "Blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”  What does it mean to be counted among the very happy because we hear the word of God and keep it? A clearcut example is the words of Jesus below:

"Jesus said to his disciples: “To you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." (Luke 6: 27.... 38).

When we love our enemies,
When we do good to those who hate us,
When we bless those who curse us,
When we pray for those who mistreat us,
Then we do what Jesus says to us.

How about the joy and happiness that should follow our obedience? This is automatic. You may not notice the change at once. It could take months or even years. But when you notice the change you are happier.
I have two examples on this:
Last night before going to bed, I had a serious headache. It was as if my head was on fire. I turn to God the Father in such emergencies. I was inspired to take four tablets of Ibuprofen. I slept very soundly and felt good in the morning. It took some time before I remembered my condition last night. When I did, I thanked God.

I prayed to God for years to remove from me anxiety about money. A little while ago, I was reading something when I realized I had not worried about money for a long time. How long? Possibly a couple of years. Why did God not act as human and say to me: "SEE I HAVE JUST ANSWERED YOUR PRAYER!" That is not the way of the Almighty. God wants us to walk by faith and not by sight or feelings.

“And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." (Luke 11: 5.... 13).

The Archangel declared to Mary and she was conceived by the Holy Spirit.  "Behold I am the servant of the Lord, let it be done to me as You promised."  At that instant, the Word became flesh in the womb of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2