JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled.

"IF YOU SHOULD ASK ME WHAT ARE THE WAYS OF GOD, I WOULD TELL YOU THAT THE FIRST IS HUMILITY, THE SECOND IS HUMILITY, AND THE THIRD IS HUMILITY. NOT THAT THERE ARE NO OTHER PRECEPTS TO GIVE. BUT IF HUMILITY DOES NOT PRECEED ALL THAT WE DO, OUR EFFORTS ARE FRUITLESS." (ST AUGUSTINE, DOCTOR OF THE CHURCH. AUGUST 28TH.)

"On a sabbath Jesus went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees, and the people there were observing him carefully.

"He told a parable to those who had been invited, noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table.

“When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not recline at table in the place of honor. A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him, and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say, ‘Give your place to this man,’ and then you would proceed with embarrassment to take the lowest place.

"Rather, when you are invited, go and take the lowest place so that when the host comes to you he may say, ‘My friend, move up to a higher position.’ Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 14: 1, 7....14).

Christ our Teacher gives us a poignant lesson on humility.  One of our great theologians writes that humility is the queen of virtues.  St Augustine, whose feast day is August 28th (today) writes that you can get into heaven without perfect chastity but you cannot enter heaven without humility. Humility is the queen of virtues.

Jesus teaches us a very practical lesson on humility.  The type of lesson a dad will give his son or a mother her daughter to spare them embarrassment.
“When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not recline at table in the place of honor."  (Luke 14: 8).  That seat may have been reserved for someone else.

Everyone struggles with some type of pride.  My best lesson on humility is from the autobiography of St Ignatius Loyola which the saint dictated to his secretary, Father Gonzalez.  Father Gonzalez who said he struggled with pride asked St Ignatius how to overcome it. "Pray about it sincerely to the Lord."  St Ignatius said simply. He reminded Father Gonzalez of Jesus' promise of "Ask, Seek and Knock and Receive."  I know I have tried many things to obtain humility until I read this. I pray for humility always and believe that the Lord will grant me the gift. Even if humility is granted me incrementally, I will thank the Lord for it with all my heart.

Through St Ignatius, Jesus teaches me to trust Him to deal with my pride in His own way and in His time.
"Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  (Matthew 11: 29).

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2