JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, November 02, 2022

The Feast of St Martin de Poress, OP.

"Everything, even sweeping, scraping vegetables, weeding a garden and waiting on the sick could be a prayer, if it were offered to God." (St Martin de Poress, OP).

"The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus, but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

"So Jesus addressed this parable to them. “What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it?

"And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them,

"‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.

“Or what woman having ten coins and losing one would not light a lamp and sweep the house, searching carefully until she finds it? And when she does find it, she calls together her friends and neighbors and says to them,

‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’ In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”  (Luke 15: 1 - 10).

Thursday 3rd November 2022 of 31st Week of Ordinary Time is the feast of St Martin de Poress (1579 - 1639). Martin de Poress, OP was a Dominican lay brother of mixed races. Born in Lima, Peru of a Spanish father and a black mother. His father gave Martin a decent education and His creator, the eternal Physician, endowed Martin with immense pharmaceutical and medical skills. He deployed these gifts in the service of the poor and animals.

Martin was not disgusted with the menial tasks he was alloted: cooking, cleaning and sweeping. He fed the unwanted and the hungry that came to the monastery looking for food. He cured the sick in the infirmary. He fed and cured animals in the backyard.

In our key Scripture from the famous Luke's Chapter 15, Jesus exclaims joyfully "Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep."  Thank You Jesus for the lesson You teach me in this parable. You teach me the power of One. You have also reminded me of the power of the mustard seed. Help me to follow Your example My Good Shepherd.

"I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance."

Great saints who repented:
#1 Mary Magdalene
#2 Paul the Apostle
#3 Peter Chief Apostle
#4 Augustine
#5 Francis of Asissi
#6 Ignatius Loyola

Martin de Poress was highly gifted and talented. He humbled himself and never raised his voice or showed off his skills. He accepted the humble place given to him by his brother Dominicans and worked cheerfully in the kitchen and as a doorkeeper. Even in these humble places, he still became the salt of the earth and the light of Christ. God blessed him with miraculous powers. After his death in 1639, the power of his intercession and miraculous power made Martin a favorite patron saint in the Church. I took Martin as my Confirmation name and a patron saint. Martin is the patron saint of Social Justice and Healthcare workers.

St Martin de Poress pray for us.

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2