JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Sunday, November 06, 2005

How to forgive

“Then Peter went up to him and said, ‘Lord, how often must I forgive my brother if he wrongs me? As often as 7 times?’ Jesus answered, ‘Not 7, I tell you, but 77 times.” (Matthew 18: 21 – 22)

In this text, Jesus gives us a new standard for forgiving those who wrong us. The standard is God himself. With him, there is no limit to forgiveness. He is infinitely merciful, compassionate and ever-forgiving. Jesus is inviting us to behave like himself, like God.

Whom do we need to forgive? Spouses, children, siblings, relatives, friends; those who cheat us; those who persecute us.

The theme of forgiveness is so important that it is a condition for getting God to grant our requests. Jesus included forgiveness in the Lord’s Prayer.

We need the Holy Spirit to be able to forgive completely.

Jesus, I have heard your word today on forgiveness and I accept your teaching. I forgive anybody who might have offended me in any way. I pledge always to forgive. I need your grace to be able to do this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2