JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Commissioned to bear fruit

Commissioned to bear fruit

“You did not choose me, no, I chose you; and I commissioned you to go out and bear fruit, fruit that will last; and then the Father will give you anything you ask him in my name.”  (John 15: 16)

In 1987 when I returned home from internationalization with Unilever in Paris, I was sent to work in a division where I had a great Dutchman as my boss.  I was conceited and often spoke of how much I loved the products and services the division provided its customers.   I implied I chose the division because of this.  One day, Mr. Han (not his real name) said to me:  “You did not choose me.  I chose you.”  It was a brutal,  appropriate and humbling reminder of the truth.

In my relationship with Jesus, I might from time to time forget this truth and believe that I chose Jesus.  Today Jesus is reminding me that it was he who chose me and not the other way.  He called me as he called Peter to a life of friendship, companionship and spiritual productivity.  

Lord Jesus, I know you have chosen me to be with you and work for you.  Have you commissioned me or is it something that will happen in the future?  I understand that we live our mission every moment of our life.  Our God given purpose is always there for us to work on.  

On the feast of Assumption, August 15, 1995, I became aware of a second call to follow Jesus.  Jonah was reluctant the first time he heard the call to go to Nineveh.  So was I.  But the second time the call came, I was ready.  The Lord had prepared me for this moment through suffering.  He had also prepared me for it through elevation.  Having given me an unmerited opportunity to climb high in the corporate ladder, I have seen and observed life from the upper floors.  In August, 1995, I had decided that there was nothing there that deserved my losing my life to gain.  

When Mary was commissioned at the Annunciation, the Word started to bear fruit in her womb right away.  I am commissioned by Christ to go out and bear fruit that will last.  I do so today by faithfulness in little things.  Help me Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2