JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Jesus Christ became poor so that I might become rich


"For you know the gracious act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that for your sake he became poor although he was rich, so that by his poverty you might become rich."  (2 Corinthians 8: 9)

In order to appropriate the promises designed for us in the word of God, we must understand the meaning of the word.  I realize lately that I do not understand the meaning of many scriptures that I thought I did.  An example is 2 Corinthians 8:9.  What does it mean that Christ became poor so that by His poverty, I may become rich?

Early this morning, I read a couple of commentaries on the scripture and was surprised by what I discovered.  Christ is the Son of God, creator of heaven and earth and all that is seen and unseen.  He is the Lord of history.  The destiny of the entire world is in His hands. He owns all the silver and gold, all the banks and deposits.   Can you get richer than that?  Yet, Christ chose to be born in a stable in Bethlehem.  Born of poor parents, he learned carpentry as His trade.  Throughout His public ministry, He depended on women to provide for His needs from their meagre resources.  When He died, He had no wealth to bequeath to His mother.  On the cross, He entrusted the care of His mother to his disciple, John.  He was buried in a borrowed grave.

Out of His passion, death and resurrection, He bestowed freely on us the greatest gift of redemption, the person of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is the source of all inspiration and power.  He is resourcefulness Himself.  If we have the Holy Spirit, we are potentially rich in every resource, of which the most important is faith.  Gold though tested by fire perishes.  Faith never perishes.  With faith all is possible.

Lord, open my eyes to see how rich you have made me.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2