JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My first Chrism Mass


I was at the Sacred Heart Cathedral downtown at 6.15 pm on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 for my first Chrism Mass.  It started at about 6.45 pm.  I was lucky to find a seat where the Maryanne Jurica and her 2 daughters and Mary Anne and son Julian were sitting.  The Mass not surprisingly was beautiful and emotionally charged.  I came to perceive for the first time why the Church calls the Mass a "Celebration."  It is indeed like a giant party.  When the procession of the deacons, priests, bishops, KC knights and altar servers moved slowly to the Altar.  Everybody stood up, not facing the Altar but facing the procession, with different liturgical vestments according to the ecclesial order.  I found myself watching more of the congregation than the procession.  There appeared almost an ecstatic joy  on the faces I saw.  Even kids were on tiptoes to catch the action.  Faces lit up when they see a priest or  deacon they recognize.  My face lit up too when I saw Deacons ES, JK, DJ from STM. It lit up again when I saw Msgr Bill Young.

 I came to perceive that perhaps God intended the Mass to be a huge family party.  The Celebration of the Mass involves the whole of the human persona.  The eyes are feasted as the colorful procession moved to the Altar.  The ears are tingled by beautiful choral music; the nostrils sniff pleasant incense.  At the appropriate time, the family lines up and march to the Altar to feed on the Flesh and Blood of Jesus Christ who is the Host of the party and the Food at the same time.   I thank God for the feast and the insight I got into His plan for the Mass.  One thing I also observed was that most people were dressed for a big celebration.  There were relatively few casuals.  The tone seemed to have been set by the rich liturgical vestments.  It is only a loving, gracious and generous Father that will say to His family: "Work for 6 days and take one day to celebrate a party.  The bill is on me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2