JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Sunday, March 03, 2013

The swallow lays her young by your altar


"As the sparrow finds a home
and the swallow a nest to settle her young,
My home is by your altars,
LORD of hosts, my king and my God!
Blessed are those who dwell in your house!
They never cease to praise you." (Psalm 84: 4 - 5)

Pope Gregory the Great (690 - 604) taught: "Learn the heart of God from the word of God."
What can I learn today about the heart of God from Psalm 84: 4 - 5?
I learn that God is so tender towards His creatures that He allows the common sparrows and swallows to settle very close to His altars.
And how about me?
My home is by our altars, O Lord my God.

The Lord Himself marks out the pleasant spots for me near His altars.
"LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you have made my destiny secure.
Pleasant places were measured out for me;
fair to me indeed is my inheritance."  (Psalm 16: 5 - 6)

The Sanctuary is still and restful waters.
"The LORD is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.a
In green pastures he makes me lie down;
to still waters he leads me;
he restores my soul.
He guides me along right paths
for the sake of his name."  (Psalm 23: 1 - 3)

Where to seek the Lord?  In the Sanctuary.
"O God, you are my God—
it is you I seek!
For you my body yearns;
for you my soul thirsts,
In a land parched, lifeless,
and without water.
I look to you in the sanctuary
to see your power and glory.
For your love is better than life;
my lips shall ever praise you!"  Psalm 63: 2 - 4)

The Choice, the Call and the Sanctuary
"Blessed the one whom you will choose and bring
to dwell in your courts.
May we be filled with the good things of your house,
your holy temple!"  (Psalm 65: 5)

Where to finish my days?  Near your Sanctuary, O Lord my God.
"One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the LORD’s house
all the days of my life,
To gaze on the LORD’s beauty,
to visit his temple."  (Psalm 27: 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2