JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Sunday, August 29, 2021

His town's folk became envious of Jesus.

"Jesus came to Nazareth, where he had grown up, and went according to his custom into the synagogue on the sabbath day. He stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written." (Luke 4: 16 - 30).

Monday 30th August 2021, in the 22nd Week in Ordinary Time.

Our Gospel for today is the rejection of Jesus in His hometown Nazareth. Jesus read the passage below from the Prophet Isaiah which previews the ministry of the Messiah.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord."

The congregation was impressed by Jesus' delivery of the message and "all in the synagogue looked intently at him.. ... And all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth."
Then they wondered “Is this not the son of Joseph?"

Why did the admiration of Jesus suddenly turn to envy?  Envy is listed as one of the 7 Deadly Sins and is defined as: "Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation." It is a sin that is surprisingly found in the Church: Bishops, priests, religious, monks, nuns, etc.

Envy is such a human sin. Wives envy their husbands and vice versa. Sibling envy can be deadly as we see from Cain and Abel, Esau and Jacob.

What makes you feel envious? How do you handle the deadly sin of envy that spares none of us? How will you feel if you are the target of envy at school or in the workplace?

"The redemption is the work of love. I loved in the face of hatred. I loved in the face of death. I loved even in the netherworld, where the just of the ages awaited My coming among them. It is by love that I vanquished hell, by love that I triumphed over death, by love that I undid what Satan, in his envy, had plotted against the creatures whom I so love and whom My Father destined for the praise of His glory." (IN SINU JESU page 135).

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2