JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Friday, May 13, 2022

The Feast of St Matthias, the 12th Apostle.

THE EXERCISE OF FAITH INCREASES FAITH. THE EXERCISE OF CONFIDENCE CAUSES CONFIDENCE TO GROW. ONE WHO APPROACHES MY TABERNACLE IN FAITH IS GIVING EVIDENCE OF A COMPLETE RELIANCE ON MY MERCIFUL LOVE. (IN SINU JESU).

"Jesus said to his disciples: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.....
"I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. This I command you: love one another.” (John 15: 9....17).

Saturday 14th May 2022, 4th Week of the Easter Season is the feast of the Apostle Matthias. (+ 64). The story of his election into the College of Apostles to replace Judas is the first Reading today: (Cf Acts 1: 15 - 26).

Mattias who had followed Jesus since His Baptism at the Jordan became a witness to the Resurrection and saw Jesus ascend into Heaven. He was present with the disciples in the Upper Room at Pentecost. Matthias met the criteria established by the Apostles to be qualified to replace Judas Iscariot.
Ancient tradition placed his ministry in Jerusalem, Cappadocia and Ethiopia. He was martyred in Jerusalem.
Matthias is the patron saint of Alcoholics.

How did Matthias become the 12th Apostle? It was necessary to replace Judas who had perished after his betrayal of Jesus. "Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias, and he was counted with the Eleven Apostles."

Our Scripture verse is from the Last Supper Discourse. Like St Matthias, each of us is called, chosen and anointed for a specific mission in the Kingdom. This is true whether we are soldiers, teachers, accountants, lawyers or housewives. Your day job is the field for your ministry. We are called to be friend and companion of Jesus who will carry on His ministry through us in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Matthias must have been deeply surprised by his call to join the Apostolic College. This is the way of God:
"God raises up the lowly from the dust; from the dunghill he lifts up the poor to seat them with prince's, with the princes of his own people." (Psalm 113: 7 - 8).

"I chose you from the world, to go and bear fruit that will last, says the Lord." (John 15: 16).

5. 14.  "The greatest saints, those richest in grace and virtue will be the most assiduous in praying to the most blessed virgin, looking up to her as the perfect model to imitate and as a powerful helper to assist them."
- (Saint Louis Marie de Montfort)

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2