JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, August 22, 2024

THE FEAST OF ST ROSE OF LIMA, OP. VIRGIN AND RELIGIOUS.

FEAST OF ST ROSE OF LIMA, OP. VIRGIN & RELIGIOUS.  

"When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, and one of them, a scholar of the law, tested him by asking, 


“Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?”

"He said to him, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22: 34 - 40).


Friday August 23rd in the 20th Week in Ordinary Time is the feast of St Rose of Lima. (1586 - 1617). She was born in Lima, Peru. She was a virgin and a Dominican tertiary. 

Rose admired St Catherine of Sienna from her youth and was deeply inspired by this Doctor of the Church who was a Dominican tertiary.  Rose of Lima became a Dominican tertiary and a model of penitence, prayer and simplicity. 


St Rose of Lima was canonized less than 50 years after her death in 1671. She became the first native born saint in the Americas. 


In the Gospel for today from Matthew 22: 34 - 40, the Pharisees asked Jesus which commandment is the greatest. Jesus went beyond their narrow standard in His answer:  

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’  On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22: 37 - 40).


How do you love God? 

How do you love your neighbor? 


A little while ago, I will find it difficult to answer the above questions. But then I came across this Scripture from St Paul which helped me to answer the question. 


"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died." (CF 2 Corinthians 5:. 14 - 15). 

I interpret the passage thus:

I am impelled/compelled to love God back because I have seen how much He loves me. 


Just like saying to a friend or neighbor: You visited me when I was sick and brought me comfort. Now that you are sick, I will visit you and bring you comfort. 


And we say to God: Because I have come to know and believe how much You love me and do good to me always, I commit myself to do whatever pleases You and this includes loving my neighbor as myself. 


August is the Month dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Mary says: "In the end. My Immaculate Heart will triumph." 

For Prayers of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Litany, Promises of Mary to those who say the Holy Rosary, etc click the link below:


http://seekfirst.blogspot.com/2023/06/immaculate-heart-of-mary-consecration.html?m=10 

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2