JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Are you being pruned?

Are you being pruned?

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in me that bears no fruit he cuts away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes to make it bear even more.  You are pruned already by means of the word that I have spoken to you.”  (John 15: 1-3)

Many Christians who love the Lord have lots of suffering in their life.  They cannot understand what is going on.  I suspect that many are not even aware of John 15: 13, that gives an encouraging answer to their questions.  About ten years ago, the Lord placed me in the desert for more than two years.  His faithful love and mercy revealed the above scripture to me.  When I knew through his word that the Lord is pruning me, I became calmer and less rebellious.

One Sunday during my desert experience, I heard this scripture read at Mass:
“My son, do not disdain the discipline of the Lord or lose heart when reproved by him; for whom the Lord loves, he disciplines; he scourges every son he acknowledges.  Endure your trials as ‘discipline’, God treats you as sons.  For what ‘son’ is there whom his father does not discipline?  If you are without discipline, in which all have shared, you are not sons but bastards.”  (Hebrews 12: 5-8)

John 15: 1-3 and Hebrews 12: 5-8 transformed my attitude to pruning and discipline.  I welcomed it in 1996 as I welcome it today.  The seed that yielded a harvest is the word that fell on good soil.   Others that fell on the path, rock or among thorns were left to their fate.  

In our afflictions, Jesus gives us the consolation of the truth found in holy scriptures..  Thank you Lord Jesus for your word.  May the Father continue to prune me so that I can bear much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2