JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

My own Cross

My own Cross

“They then took charge of Jesus, and carrying his own cross he went out to the city to the place of the skull or, as it was called in Hebrew, Golgotha, where they crucified him with two others, one on either side with Jesus in the middle.” (John 19:17)

Jesus carried his own cross to Golgotha.  The cross is the mark of the Christian.  We often think of prosperity, good health, and well-being as marks of God’s blessings and approval.  But the New Testament (Covenant) is clear that it is the cross that is the mark of blessings and God’s approval.  The cross is at the heart of the New Covenant/Testament.  “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” (Galatians 6:14).  The Holy Spirit revealed the wisdom of the cross to St. Paul through personal experience and revelation.  

Jesus carried his own cross to Golgotha.  He wants his followers to carry their own crosses everyday and follow him.  Ten years ago when I reflected on John 19:17, I was carrying a heavy cross and I wrote this:  “What are my crosses today?  They are those unpleasant circumstances, events or conditions that I have not chosen.  Today, I have not chosen to be unwell, broke, bereft of tools, no electricity or roads.  If I bear each of these situations cheerfully and with fortitude, then I ill be obeying Christ by carrying my own cross and following him.  The word of God says that it is not possible for me to carry my cross cheerfully and with fortitude unless Christ helps me.”  

Today, my situation has changed dramatically but I do not want to forget the lessons of the cross.  Woe betides me if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2