JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Appearances

Appearances

“But Yahweh said to Samuel, ‘Take no notice of his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him; God does not see as human beings see; they look at appearances but Yahweh looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

Appearances can be deceptive. The tiny Jesus in the manger in Bethlehem was certainly an appearance that was deceptive. The bloodied Jesus on the cross was another. The bread and wine transformed at Mass into the Body and Blood of Jesus retain their accidents and deceive many. But note that those who walk by faith and not by sight are not deceived by appearances. Jesus was recognized by his parents, the shepherds, the magi, Simeon and Anna as the Son of God. As bloodied as he was on the cross, the Good Thief still recognized Jesus as divine. Millions everywhere recognize the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. What all these people have in common is faith.

How do I see people, institutions and events? Am I influenced by appearances? Is it possible for me to see as God sees, that is, “look at the heart?”

O Jesus, help me to see myself as you see me. Help me to see my neighbor as you see him. Let me see the world as you see it.

What do I need to see today as God sees it?
  • The Enterprise

  • Family

  • Money

  • Health

  • Food

Where can I look for answer? In the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2