JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Promises of God and the Joy of Answered Prayer.

"How sweet to my tongue is your promise, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119: 103).

Many years ago, after I moved to a new parish, I found myself one Saturday morning in a Bible Study group. The pastor was the teacher.  "What is the most important concept in Sacred Scripture?" He asked. Many answers were proffered.  When it came to my turn, I said: "Promises."  For better or worse, Promise has been my key to understanding and applying the Sacred Text to my life. As years go by, God's promises become sweeter and sweeter to me.  Often in my prayers, I play a little chess game with God.  I raise my hands up and say:  "What I am asking for is what You promised. What I am waiting for is what You promised."  Then I make a sweet surrender of the request as to how and when of it to God.

I believe firmly that:
"The law of your mouth is more precious to me than heaps of silver and gold."  (Psalm 119: 72).
All the heroes of the Bible fed exclusively on the word of God.

Here are a few Scriptures that have sustained my life in mortal spiritual warfare:

"God is our refuge and strength [mighty and impenetrable],
A very present and well-proved help in trouble."  (Psalm 46: 1 AMP).

"Never forget your promises to me your servant, for they are my only hope. They give me strength in all my troubles; how they refresh and revive me!" (Psalm 119: 49 - 50 TLB).

“If this plan or this undertaking is of human origin, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them – in that case you may even be found fighting against God!” (Acts 5: 38 - 39).
Are you discerning the viability of a project? This may be your Scripture.

"Wait for the Lord, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the Lord!"  (Psalm 27: 14).

The summary of what Sacred Scripture does for me in times of spiritual desolation and warfare is below:

1.  If God is with you, it is accomplished.  No matter the obstacles, delays,
disappointments or personal weaknesses.
2.  No fear. No worry. No doubt as long as the Lord is with you. 
3.  God will finish what He started. (Exodus 14: 13-14; Isaiah 13: 15; 2 Chronicles 20: 15;  Philippians 1: 6)
4. "The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need." (Psalm 23:1).
 5. "I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me." (Philippians 4: 13).

SeekFirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2