JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Feast of St Bonaventure, the Seraphic Doctor.

"Jesus said: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Matthew 11: 28 - 30).

Thursday 15th July 2021, 15th Week in Ordinary Time is the feast of St Bonaventure (1221 - 1274). Italian. Franciscan, Bishop, Cardinal and Doctor of the Church. Bonaventure is known as the Seraphic Doctor because of his mastery of mystical theology. He became friends with St Thomas Aquinas, another doctor of the Church in the University of Paris.

Who is Jesus especially inviting to come to Him in our key Scripture?
The burdened who labor under yoke. The meek and the humble who desperately are looking for some resting place from their hard labors.

Our saint of today, St Bonaventure will fall into this class. Although Superior General of the Franciscans for 17 years, Cardinal of the Church, eminent Theologian and Professor of Theology at the University of Paris and one of the 35 Doctors of the Church, Bonaventure is childlike in character. He is meek and humble. This is why he heard the invitation of Jesus and answered Him.

Spiritual writers affirm again and again that we receive nothing from God unless we come to Him in trust, broken and remain steadfast in waiting for Him.
The way to the Heart of Jesus is Trust and Obey. Not confidence in our filthy works or in our strength.

This is why Jesus gives us the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Reconciliation so that we can come to Him easily at all times.

May we all benefit from the wisdom and simplicity of St Bonaventure whom we honor today.
"I am glorified when you honor my saints." Lord Jesus remember us who delight in honoring your saints.

"This is why it so grieves Me" , said Jesus to a mystic, "that churches are locked and that I am left for days on end alone in the tabernacle. I would draw souls to My open Heart, I would have them experience what it is to abide in the radiance of My Eucharistic Face, I would give Myself in intimate friendship to souls drawn to Me in the Sacrament of My love, but you priests, shepherds of souls, have forgotten that keeping open your churches is integral to your sacred ministry." (IN SINU JESU page 54).

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirst.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2